Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The OB visit

Finally I can update! Yesterday after the OB appointment I was on a panel for some scholarships assignment and had no email access!! Ahhh, nearly had withdrawal symptoms! Then once home I was so so tired I didn't fire up the computer at all...

Anyway, the visit went very well, apparently Elvis has assumed position!!I did notice that I started feeling movements much higher up (as if they are in my stomach) or low down, but not on the sides so much. His little heart was beating away and everything looked good, including the amniotic fluid and the placenta seemed to be a bit higher up also.
My urine sample was fine, and so were the results from the thyroid blood work I did at my 20 weeks scan! That's great as I wasn't sure how those would have turned out!
We talked about the Braxton Hicks contractions I had (Dr. L had actually written down in his notes about our conversation!) and the fact that they are totally gone now, or at least I don't notice them at all. He said they can be very normal and unless they become very very frequent, I have spotting associated with it or the waters break there's nothing to worry about. I thought I had them because of all the travelling, but he said that really the uterus most of the time has a mind of its own! All good then!
I asked him about the weight gain and popped on his scale to see the difference from the 12 weeks weight. It says I'm "only" plus 8kg! Now, I'm pretty sure with the steroids and all I had piled up a good 4 kg between the pre-preg weight and 12 weeks, but still....it feels better. He said not to worry too much to be honest, the only problem may be for me to loose the weight after birth but it's not a huge gain by any means! Woohooo! Love the Irish philosophy! Of course thanks to all of you also for the reassuring words on weight gain and although I do love the new boobs (it does look like I had a bit of a job done!) I was also gifted with itchy stretch-marks in that same area which I'm afraid will look like a geographical map once the "thinning" effect after pregnancy and breastfeeding will occur. Ah well, I'm sure I won't really care too much!
Finally, I asked the OB if in Ireland there was such a program as the cord-blood donation. Nope. Pity to be honest...

Oh, I meant to say that now that the fear of incompetent cervix has somewhat subsided (I have hope it wouldn't be a tragedy at this stage) and with it the premature labour (again viability gave me this major relief) I have this new fear now which is the possibility of umbilical cord real nots and torsion...ah well... you know me by now, so just shake your head and say out loud "will she ever relax and enjoy?" eheheh

But yoga on monday night was great. Actually as it was my first time (missed the first three sessions), I didn't know that it was "couple nights" and that we were going to tackle labour and breathing techniques...so there were three couples...and me!! boohoooo!! I wasn't even wearing my rings so I felt quite lonely but then just paired up with the teacher thinking of myself as if I was in a lesbian couple and giggled all the way through!

19 comments:

Momasita said...

I'm glad the appointment went well and that Elvis is doing great. I know about irrational fears; you just have to let this latest one go.

Glad you enjoyed your yoga class!

Nick and Kristi said...

I bet Yoga will bring you some relaxation and peace along with some good healthy exercise:)

Sounds like you had a great appt...Yipeeeee!!!!!

HopeBPatient said...

Fran - so wonderfully excited for you! Can't wait to meet Elvis!!!

Circus Princess said...

So happy to hear both you and Elvis are doing great!
Of course I immediately started googling umbillical cord issues - gah!
Let's say it together - RELAX & ENJOY!!

Michele said...

I am so excited and happy for you, Fran!

Life Happens said...

I'm glad things are still progressing along! Relax and Enjoy it (I know, easier said than done!)

Praying for Hope said...

I've found the fears through the months of prgnancy don't go away, they only change shape. I won't tell you what mine have been, because I don't want to give you any ideas. I will say I remember incompetent cervix being one of my fears and, of course, premature labor. Just stay away from Google.

Courtney said...

So glad you had a great appointment!

Mrs. Lemon said...

Woo Hoo! Breath deep. You are way over the hump. Now you get to just look forward to actually holding your baby! Much Love- Lemon

Jess said...

So glad that all is going well!

Alex said...

Sounds like a wonderful appointment - yay! You had me giggling about you and your lesbian lover in yoga... Hee hee

Kakunaa said...

I woke up panicky the other night...irrational fear is the newest part of this journey. I am so glad everything is going well :)

Kim said...

Hooray for great appointments! I love happy and uneventful updates.
Oh and Hooray for pregnant lesbians! LOL You're such a cutie, great attitude!

Anonymous said...

te he he, I had to laugh at your lesbian yoga experience!
Glad the OB visit was good and how well behaved is Elvis that he's assumed the position like a good boy. He's so clever. Oh, i'm so proud of him!
x

Saige said...

Oh itchy stretch marks. I got them on my belly and they were almost unbearable toward the end. I actually got to the point where I would count how many times I scratched the itches just to keep myself from going overboard, as scratching makes them worse. I usually only let myself scratch 12 times, but sometimes I had to go to 24! lol

You're going to love yoga. Hopefully Mike can go with you next time so you don't feel so alone?

Mad Hatter said...

Oh, Fran! You sound so great and I am so happy to know that you are doing so well. I imagine the worrying is normal (and will likely last for the next 50 years!!).:-)
Love,
Maddy

Eileen said...

I think about you all the time and I am so happy to hear that everything is going well. Sorry I have been MIA from commenting, but know that I am still out here cheering you on girl!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great OB visit! All good news and it's great that Elvis is in proper position. I understand completely how you can worry about cord issues. I'm sure everything will be just fine, but I understand how it feels to worry about the next possible problem - at least until your baby is safely in your arms. Sorry you had to do the yoga class alone, but it sounds like you made the best of it!

Laura said...

I am so so happy for you Fran! Happy that everything is looking just as it should look with Elvis and with you too. Yaay about the weight gain as I know it's been something you have been worried about for while. I laughed out loud when I read about your yoga experience.. having to pair up with the teacher and all the rest being couples... hahaha! Priceless!